As an academic medical center, UF Health Shands Hospital is committed to supporting our nurses’ quest for education, knowledge and career development. We believe in providing opportunities for personal and professional betterment, knowing that wisdom and purpose are integral to a fully satisfying life.
Professional Practice Development Opportunities
This one-year fellowship is available to registered nurses who have at least three years of experience at UF Health Shands Hospital along with the passion to provide clinical leadership within our environment.
The third in our series of one-year fellowship opportunities, this program is available to registered nurses serving in an assistive management role within any nursing division at UF Health Shands Hospital.
The Professional Practice Recognition Program provides monetary recognition for bedside nurses who wish to advance their careers through demonstrated individual excellence.
Mini-grants of $1,000 are available to nurses with at least two years of satisfactory experience at UF Health Shands Hospital.
This innovative two-day preceptorship was created to build awareness of the goals and functions of nursing administration at UF Health Shands Hospital.
About Nursing Research and Education
The mission of the department of nursing research and education is to provide innovative and creative educational opportunities for nursing staff and the community that facilitate professional and personal growth and professional competence, and advance career goals.
This mission is achieved by the following goals:
- Foster nursing research and evidenced-based practice within the nursing staff of UF Health Shands Hospital and nursing community by offering educational programs linked to research and evidence-based practice in collaboration with the local university and colleges
- Facilitate competence in nursing services by ongoing assessment, development of programs and evaluation of the outcomes of the competence program
- Increase the quality of patient care by educating nurses in their role in the nurse-specific quality indicators, national patient safety goals, benchmarking data and best practice guidelines
- Foster communication within the health care system by offering professional development programs and leadership programs that teach communication skills
- Provide revenue to maintain and expand educational programs to nursing and health care professionals at the state and national level by offering educational programs on the Internet
The learning laboratory in the department houses 14 new computers with DVDs. The development of educational offerings utilizing video, audio and PowerPoint capabilities increases the number and effectiveness of educational programs. The use of the UF Health Intranet to offer educational opportunities 24 hours a day has helped reach the many staff who work on all shifts and in all positions in the organization. Continuing education for the clerical and non-licensed staff is offered on the Intranet system as well.
The classroom offerings for American Heart Association courses, ICU skills, continuing education offerings and leadership and professional development courses has steadily increased in the past five years. The Graduate Nurse Fellowship Program, Research Minigrant Fellowship, Staff Nurse Leadership Fellowship, Nursing Leadership Academy, Management Fellowship and Crucial Conversations have been implemented in response to requests from the staff. Conferences are offered to all health care workers in the north central Florida region. Recent conferences were presented on the topics of legal issues, care of the obese patient and skin care.